It's been a long time since I beaded a new design I like. I hope you
like it too. The technique here is primarily prismatic right angle weave
(PRAW) with square stitch.
The mat beads are the new etched beads that have been recently released
on Planet Bead, and I absolutely love them! I want them all! You can't
tell from the photos, but they shimmer and twinkle and throw off tiny
flashes of aqua and purple. I'm having fantasies of selling off three
quarters of my bead collection and stocking up on etched seed beads in
every color. But in the mean time, I was able to squeeze a few new tubes
into my bead box.
I finally found something nice to make for my sweetie that he can
use. This shirt is two layers of pure cotton jersey, stenciled with
acrylic paint, and hand stitched with polyester thread. He requested an
atomic symbol, like the one for the Springfield Isotopes baseball team
on The Simpsons.
To make the shirt pattern, I cut up his old
favorite t-shirt, traced it onto pattern paper, and added seam
allowances. Then I made a rough draft t-shirt to test the pattern and
used it to make a few small adjustments
to the pattern. Then I cut this garment, which I consider a final copy.
It should be a perfect fit. After trying to use other people's patterns
and drafting my own, I have to say that starting with well loved garment
is an excellent way to draft a perfect pattern that fits, and if you
are willing to cut it up, you get to the right pattern easily without
too many alterations.
Here is the rough draft shirt I made first to test the pattern before spending a lot of time on fancy embroidery.
The fabric had a flaw that I didn't catch until the shirt was sewn together. So I added a star on the back to cover it up.
Here is my
sweetie's favorite cotton t-shirt (left), all worn out and sad. In blue on the right, you can see my new version. I changed the number
because I cut a stencil and I didn't want to deal with the holes in the
8. Fortunately, he didn't care.
I learned the techniques for construction and embellishment from the books by Natalie Chanin. Her work is such an inspiration.
I made a few sweaters last Winter and Spring, but somehow I forgot to blog about them, and now it's June. This post is totally seasonally inappropriate, unless you live in Australia. So, as you read this, pretend that you're Australian. I promise, it'll be worth it. Sweater No. 13 Dusty Rose
This was a custom order for a friend who does a lot of needle crafts. I wanted to make it especially detailed for her because I knew she would appreciate the effort. So I covered the front of the hood with folded roses made from cashmere sweaters.
Here's a close up of the roses before I added the buttons. To make the roses, I used classic "folded ribbon rose" techniques but with strips of sweaters instead of regular ribbon.
Sweater No. 14 Periwinkle
This was my first adventure in free-form sweater sewing. It's is all cashmere, mostly hand dyed.
I like the way the black seams make it look like stained glass. It's available here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/213314668/
Sweater No. 15 Black Berry
This was my second adventure into free-form sweater sewing.
I found that I could use the leftover scraps to make the hood. I really love the way the lines and colors on this piece worked out.
This Black Berry Sweater is mostly cashmere, mostly hand dyed, and it's available here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/498172702/
Here's a close up of the bobble at the end of the hood.
Sweater No. 16 Kelp Queen
I made this piece for myself... because... LIME GREEN!!!!
I had to dye almost all of the sweaters to get enough lime green. Here's a photo of the hood before it was a hood.