Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Jersey Tunic Shirt Dress Reverse Appliqué

For the last several years, I have been working towards merging art and clothing. To that end, this tunic top is entirely hand stitched with love and care.
I used techniques I learned from books by Natalie Chanin of Alabama Chanin to transform fabric and thread into a delectable and comfortable work of wearable art. 
To start making this piece, I designed and cut my own stencil.
I used the stencil to paint the design on the front and back with fabric paint.


The bodice is two layers of delightfully soft bamboo rayon jersey that is hand stitched with soft, thick, green thread to hold the layers together. I carefully cut over 100 windows in the green fabric to let the black layer show through the green one, using a technique called reverse appliqué.
I left the cut edges as part of the design. The cut fabric edges are quite sturdy. They will curl with wear and washings, but shouldn't unravel if you treat it well. Dress it up with a skirt or dress it down with leggings or jeans. This is the complete front panel before assembly.
After I assembled all the pieces, I found it to be rather tight in the hips.  So, I busted apart the side seams and  added godets. Now, it is fuller around the hips and butt. Here is what one godet looked like before I finished the embroidery.
Here you can see more of the embroidery.  It is US size 8-10 and very soft and stretchy with a lovely drape. If you want details on the measurements, just ask.
This piece is so very soft and comfortable. The materials and craftsmanship are top quality, and it's the only one like it. If you like avocado green, it will quickly become your favorite top. In fact, I made it for myself, but I would be happy to sell it and make more. So I'm offering it for sale for a limited time.


Maybe you would like to have it? Get more info here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/244808736/

If it doesn't sell by winter time, I'm keeping it. Thanks for looking. 

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I love the way it fits you and the way it drapes, in addition to the beautiful pattern. You do the most creative things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...