Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wonka of Wonderland Top Hat No. 6

This top hat is covered in polyester ultra suede with a sequined sash.  It's the first time I've ever worked with ultra suede, and I love it.  The stitches just melt right into the fabric giving wonderfully smooth seam lines.  And it feels just like real suede.  I'm definitely going to use ultra suede again for covering hats.  This one also has some fantastic lime green sequined fabric for the removable hat band.  It's the same fabric I wrote about in my post Sewing with Sequins.  (My sewing teacher saved me a little piece after the dress was finished because she knew I adore it.)  Since the sequined fabric is stretchy, it holds its position on the hat without any tacking, so it's easy to remove and change out with something else, just in case lime green sequins don't match the rest of your outfit.
Here is the Hat No. 3, so you can see how it looks when worn.  The colors are very similar to Hat No. 6, but for No. 6, I upgraded to better fabrics.
I tried something else new with this version.  I lined the inside edge with elastic instead of grosgrain ribbon as I normally do.  You can see it in the photo below.   You can also see the two little snaps I added in the back to make it tighter.  The elastic and snaps give it about an inch of flexibility in the fitting.  It can be further adjusted by its new owner with some hot steam and love to give it the perfect fit.
This hat is for sale in my Etsy shop.  Click the photos to go to the listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...